sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] gossip specification.

From: Yaron Minsky
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] gossip specification.
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 18:29:47 -0400

There's no real specification outside of the code, I'm afraid.  I'd be
happy to help out in getting the required information spec'd out, but
it's worth noting that there are some other difficulties standing in
front of an implementation.  Here are the basic algorithms that you
need to implement to do the efficient set-comparison algorithm that
SKS depends on:

- You need integer-arithmetic-mod-p for p around 2**128.
- You need to build a polynomial arithmetic on top of that Z_p package
- You need to implement polynomial-interpolation and polynomial
factoring algorithms

You also need to build a not-terribly-complicated tree-based data
structure for storing the reconciliation data.  The one complication
is that it's fairly big (around 90M), and so you'd prefer to store it
mostly on disk. The algorithm (without an explicit discussion of the
disk-storage issues) is described in the "Practical Set
Reconciliation" paper.

I'd be happy to help you figure out what would be required for
interoperability, but I want to make sure you're up for doing the rest
of what is necessary.  it's not a small project.