sks-devel

Service discovery (was Re: [Sks-devel] pool.sks-keyservers.net DNS unres

From: David Shaw
Subject: Service discovery (was Re: [Sks-devel] pool.sks-keyservers.net DNS unresponsive?)
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 12:04:32 -0400

On 2009-07-02 at 14:00 -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
I appear to be getting no A records for pool.sks-keyservers.net. this
seems like a Bad Thing.

is anyone else seeing this? it's forcing my nameservice resolution to fall back to IPv6, which is link-local only for a number of my machines
which don't have connections to any of the IPv6 tunnel brokers.

I see it too.

FWIW, which isn't that much, if you want a temporary workaround you can
use keys.sks.pool.globnix.net -- however, that makes no attempt to
subset the results, so DNS will fall back to TCP.  It does not include
1.0.10 servers.  There's also keys.ipv4.sks.pool.globnix.net and
keys.ipv6.sks.pool.globnix.net.  I didn't bother coming up with nicer
names as this was just me exploring what I could do and coming up with
names which exist but aren't so likely to be memorable and detract from
the existing pools.

On the subject of the various "pool" keyserver addresses, I'm working on (re) adding SRV support to GPG using DNS service discovery. This will allow for a much richer pool description, as it is possible to group servers in tiers and also to weight servers within a given tier, unlike the current system which is strictly round-robin. (You can say things like "Here are 10 servers, grouped in 3 tiers of 3, plus an additional tier of 1. Pick such-and-such server from such-and-such tier 50% of the time, and the other two in that tier 25% of the time each. Only go to the next tier if everything in the initial tier is down."). It means that the pool creator can bias the server choice towards faster/better-connected machines. Also useful is that it allows servers to run on something other than port 11371 without having to tell everyone about the new port as the service discovery returns the port as part of the lookup.

David