sks-devel

Re: Service discovery (was Re: [Sks-devel] pool.sks-keyservers.net DNS u

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor
Subject: Re: Service discovery (was Re: [Sks-devel] pool.sks-keyservers.net DNS unresponsive?)
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 15:06:11 -0400

On 07/06/2009 12:04 PM, David Shaw wrote:
> On the subject of the various "pool" keyserver addresses, I'm working on
> (re) adding SRV support to GPG using DNS service discovery.

Excellent news, thank you David!

Are you thinking about using simple SRV records [0], or (as your use of
the term "service discovery" suggests) the more-complex DNS-SD [1]?
DNS-SD (in conjunction with the rest of the zeroconf suite, and a
well-implemented pubring-via-HKP daemon) could make it possible to
quickly and easily share public keys and certifications between neighbors.

It could also open up concerns about the ease of spoofing keyservers,
but i think those concerns already exist on the 'net today -- using
explicitly decentralized protocols like mDNS/DNS-SD is just taking the
decentralized and unauthenticated gossiping keyservers model one step
further.  We rely on client-side crypto to evaluate the legitimacy of
returned signatures anyway, and that certainly wouldn't change.

        --dkg

[0] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2782
[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-cheshire-dnsext-dns-sd