sks-devel

[Sks-devel] Keyservers outside North American and Europe?

From: Phil Pennock
Subject: [Sks-devel] Keyservers outside North American and Europe?
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 22:04:57 -0700

I got around to adding region-based sub-pool entries in my experimental
playground SKS pool definition, with six regions (below); I'm only
actually seeing entries for North America and Europe, though.

I suspect that this is a geocoding failure, rather than *complete*
absence, but I wonder if those from outside NA/EU can speak up?  And
perhaps encourage more folks in your part of the world to run
keyservers?

  keys.na.region.sks.pool.globnix.net
  keys.sa.region.sks.pool.globnix.net
  keys.eu.region.sks.pool.globnix.net
  keys.africa.region.sks.pool.globnix.net
  keys.asia.region.sks.pool.globnix.net
  keys.oceania.region.sks.pool.globnix.net

(and yes, the names are deliberately obnoxiously long; regular users
should use Kristian's excellent sks-keyservers.net).

For the above, for each server all IPs are found, and for each IPv4
address, a lookup is performed against zz.countries.nerd.dk to find the
country of the server.  Multiple countries per IP, and multiple IPs per
server, are supported, and if any one entry matches the region, the
server gets classified as a member of the region (so a server can be in
multiple regions, even before accounting for countries which are in
multiple regions).

If there are no resulting servers, there is no entry in DNS, which is
why currently there are only entries for "na" and "eu".

The regions are defined in the DNS-creating client script, and the
definitions come from Wikipedia pages, looked up (manually) against
ISO3166 lists (and finding South Sudan (SS) with more searching); a
country can be in more than one region; I added "UK" in as well as "GB":

 na: AG,BS,BB,BZ,CA,CR,CU,DM,DO,SV,GD,GT,HT,HN,JM,MX,NI,PA,KN,LC,VC,TT,
     US,AI,AW,BM,VG,KY,GL,MS,PR,BL,MF,TC,VI,GP,MQ
 sa: AR,BO,BR,CL,CO,EC,GY,PY,PE,SR,UY,VE
 eu: AL,AD,AM,AT,AZ,BY,BE,BA,BG,HR,CY,CZ,DK,EE,FI,FR,GE,DE,GR,HU,IS,IE,
     IT,KZ,LV,LI,LT,LU,MK,MT,MD,MC,ME,NL,NO,PL,PT,RO,RU,SM,RS,SK,SI,ES,
     SE,CH,TR,UA,GB,VA,UK,FO,GI,GG,IM,JE,AX,SJ
 africa: DZ,AO,BJ,BW,BF,BI,CM,CV,CF,TD,KM,CI,CD,CG,DJ,EG,GQ,ER,ET,GA,GM,
         GH,GN,GW,KE,LS,LR,LY,MG,MW,ML,MR,MU,MA,MZ,NA,NE,NG,RW,ST,SN,SC,
         SL,SO,ZA,SS,SD,SZ,TZ,TG,TN,UG,ZM,ZW
 asia: AF,AM,AZ,BH,BD,BT,BN,KH,CN,CY,GE,IN,ID,IR,IQ,IL,JP,JO,KZ,KP,KR,KW,
       KG,LA,LB,MY,MV,MN,MM,NP,OM,PK,PH,QA,RU,SA,SG,LK,SY,TJ,TH,TL,TR,TM,
       AE,UZ,VN,YE,TW,IO,CX,CC,HK,MO
 oceania: AU,FJ,KI,MH,FM,NR,NZ,PW,PG,WS,SB,TO,TV,VU,AS,CK,PF,GU,NC,NU,NF,
          MP,PN,TK,WF

(Feel free to copy those lists, or point out obvious errors, but I don't
 want to get into geography debates, which is why I arbitrarily picked
 wikipedia as roughly good enough).

Are there better freely-available sources of geocoding information I
could be using for classifying IP addresses to a country code?

Does anyone know of a public geocoder that handles IPv6?

DNS potentially updated twice per hour, but the actual mesh scan and
geocoding lookups normally only happen about every four hours.

Thanks,
-Phil