sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] SKS should not accept or replay non-exportable certifica

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] SKS should not accept or replay non-exportable certifications
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 17:48:17 -0400

On 09/13/2013 05:09 PM, John Clizbe wrote:
> Phil Pennock wrote:
>> On 2013-09-12 at 19:40 -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
>>> While this seems like it is probably a fixable bug for someone who knows
>>> their way around the codebase, I forsee problems with synchronizing the
>>> pool, if some SKS keyservers start following the spec and others remain
>>> non-compliant.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts or suggestions on how to resolve this problem?
>>
>> A hack would be to have a filter on, which strips them by default, and
>> clean=off disables that.  The data's out there, trying to pretend it's
>> not would be problematic in many ways, so we might as well just ensure
>> that normal retrievals don't pick up the sigs, and also of course block
>> _new_ uploads of such sigs.
>
> Actually, the hack here, as discussed over on gnupg-users, is trying to use
> lsign to mark a key to keep it off of the keyservers. The problem is that
> produces a key, that if the erroneous use is followed, that has no binding
> self-sig on the UID. While a regular certification and a self-sig are both
> signatures, the selfsig performs other important functions within OpenPGP.

I'm sorry if my work on non-exportable self-sigs seems to be distracting
from the point about non-exportable certifications in general.  Let's
set aside the self-sigs, and just look at third-party certifications.

RFC 4880 is explicit:

   Some implementations do not represent the interest of a single user
   (for example, a key server).  Such implementations always trim local
   certifications from any key they handle.

Someoneā„¢ (0x75D292D353ADACCD) made a non-exportable certification on
your user ID "John P. Clizbe <address@hidden>"
(2048R/0x2313315C435BD034).  Someone else uploaded that key to a
keyserver (ok, i admit it was me :P).  The keyserver network is
currently propagating that non-exportable certification, in
contravention of the OpenPGP standard.

> There is nothing to fix here, either in SKS or in GnuPG. The thread on
> GnuPG-users has the needed discussion.

I don't think this conclusion is warranted.

Regards,

        --dkg