sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] why does SKS have /dev/random open for writing?

From: Phil Pennock
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] why does SKS have /dev/random open for writing?
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 23:01:27 -0700

On 2013-09-19 at 13:31 -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> hi SKS folks--
>
> I was just looking at the behavior of sks 1.1.4, and i noticed that it
> seems to have /dev/random open for writing:
>
> 0 zimmermann:~# lsof /dev/random
> COMMAND PID       USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
> sks     742 debian-sks    3w   CHR    1,8      0t0 1244 /dev/random
> sks     756 debian-sks    3w   CHR    1,8      0t0 1244 /dev/random
> 0 zimmermann:~#

Something hinky here, as for me fd 3 is always the fd opened on the
pid-file, which I would expect to be opened for writing-only.  That's
managed by the daemon wrapper with which I start sks, so that sks
inherits it as an open fd.  I wonder if there's something glitchy in
your start-up/daemon-supervision configuration?  /dev/random being
specified as the pidfile ...

-Phil