sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] About deleting keys

From: Kristian Fiskerstrand
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] About deleting keys
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 15:51:50 +0100

On 10/29/2013 03:47 PM, Arnold wrote:
> On 10/29/2013 02:30 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
>> The discussion gets even more interesting when dealing with
>> revoked keys. If an attacker (with compromised secret key
>> material) is given the ability to deleting such a key from the
>> server network and re-uploading a non-revoked version; The
>> effective security of the whole system is compromised (or for
>> that matter mallicious key server operators doing the same).
>>
>> There are good reasons for the servers being add-only by
>> design... and you'll find several discussions on this in the
>> past.
>
> True, the SKS *network* should be add-only by design. However, this
> does not imply that each key server is required to _provide_ each
> and every key in its database or in the SKS network by means of a
> search.
>
> If the SKS network (currently) can operate based on search by hash
> only (which I assume) and if no current practical use (other than
> test or debug) is hindered by hiding the hash from search results
> (disabling the option "hash=on"), then filtering search results by
> means of a list of key fingerprints seems feasible to me.

I don't understand your point here, can you please elaborate? For
clients accessing the pool the results are simply a DNS round robin
and the client connects to a given SKS server. If there is
fragmentation in the network we'd have to split the servers (probably
exclude servers with deleted keys).

- --
Kristian Fiskerstrand
Blog: http://blog.sumptuouscapital.com
Twitter: @krifisk
Public PGP key 0xE3EDFAE3 at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
Testis unus, testis nullus
A single witness is no witness