sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] About deleting keys

From: Kristian Fiskerstrand
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] About deleting keys
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 23:25:22 +0100

On 10/29/2013 11:05 PM, Arnold wrote:
> On 10/29/2013 03:51 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
>>

>> On 10/29/2013 03:47 PM, Arnold wrote:

> Good you mention the pool. From my point of view "the" or "a" SKS
> network is just a number of individual key servers running on
> individual hosts, operated by individual operators/administrators.
> The operators have little agreements with a few other operators to
> peer with each other and thus form a network. From this point of
> view our pool is just one SKS network. Multiple may exist in the
> world.

I agree on this point, I should have been more explicit in my original
email.

> Our network provides additional services besides offering keys and
> synchronising among many servers. We provide a single 'server host
> name' (DNS) that resolves to multiple key servers with some kind of
> quality in terms of availability and completeness of the database.
>
> I deliberately separate the two. First thing is the possibility to
> hide / remove / whatever a key from a network of individual and
> independent key servers (operating under different local laws). If
> that is sorted out, we can discuss how to continue to provide the
> additional services like the single DNS for the whole network and
> maintain our own lever of (internal) quality.
>
> Hope this explains my point.

Thanks for elaborating.

>> If there is fragmentation in the network we'd have to split the
>> servers (probably exclude servers
>
> Excluding servers might not be scalable well as more countries
> implement some kind of privacy law.

The pool only require one single load-balanced server in the front
located in some country where such limitations doesn't apply to fulfil
its goal, synchronizing with the other servers to get key updates
(although that certainly would be a suboptimal solution with regards
to latency (in particular network roundtrips)).

> Just a thought, but this should really be step two. The DNS servers
> of the NTP-pool (http://www.pool.ntp.org) dynamically provide
> 'nearby' pool servers. We might do the opposite and provide 'far
> away' servers as it is unlikely those servers are forced to remove
> 'nearby' keys.

See my comment above, that would make this step moot :)

>> with deleted keys).
>
> My suggestion was not to delete a key, but merely to hide it in
> search results (to the highest degree possible). That highest
> degree possible is IMO a must to prevent lawyers actually demanding
> (and legally enforcing) deletion of the database.

- --
Kristian Fiskerstrand
Blog: http://blog.sumptuouscapital.com
Twitter: @krifisk
Public PGP key 0xE3EDFAE3 at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
Bene diagnoscitur, bene curatur
Something that is well diagnosed can be cured well