sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] About deleting keys

From: Kiss Gabor (Bitman)
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] About deleting keys
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 09:51:58 +0100 (CET)

> > Technical implementation is the following:
> > If a user wants to hide his/her key (s)he just have to add a special
> > uid e.g. "Do not include in search results" or so.
> > The search engine just should ignore these keys.
>
> I like this suggestion (which is similar to what Dirk proposed). Even
> though it obviously doesn't satisfy all possible legal requirements,
> it may help a number of users. It also gives a lot of control to the key
> owner. Letting a key owner decide if their key should be available in
> the PGP keydatabases, rather then leaving it up to just anyone who may
> decide to upload a random key, is a big plus imho.

Meanwhile I changed my mind.

At this moment I think the better solution would be
start a totally new SKS network that accepts verified keys only.
I mean keys those CAN be marked to be deleted/hidden by its owner.
User must prove this ability. (There are several ways of this.
E.g. answering an encrypted mail sent to address in UID, or
signed by a key from the strongs set etc.)

Initially the new database would be filled with the "strong set".

For a few years old (poisoned) and new (rigid) distributed key database
would live together. More and more operators move its node from
old network to new until the old one disappears.
Peoples have a lof of time to upload ther keys to the new database.

Gabor