sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] hg workflow pointers

From: Kristian Fiskerstrand
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] hg workflow pointers
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2017 15:27:46 +0200

On 08/01/2017 11:30 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> Is there a comparably simple tutorial someone can point me to for
> contributing to sks?

What I'm using myself, and is supported by bitbucket is mercurial patch
queues (MQ extension)

https://www.mercurial-scm.org/wiki/MqExtension /
https://www.mercurial-scm.org/wiki/MqTutorial , which allows to push and
pop from patch queue / qseries, allowing for separate commits within the
patch series that isn't part of the regular master branch, that is added
as a single commit upon qmerge

... That said...

> or, would sks folks be interested in moving to git for revision control?

There are likely a few different questions resulting from this (my own
opinions in separate email).
 (i) Should we use git for revision control instead of mercurial?
 (ii)(A) Should we continue to use bitbucket (it also supports git so
not dependent on (i)) or use another provider (if some of the questions
are regarding the UI of bitbucket / its use) (B) if not bitbucket, what
other alternative and why?
 (iii) Should we submit patches to the mailing list for review instead
of using any platform's specific functionality?

Now, (iii) possibly invalidates (i) and (ii) as the workflow is
simplified (hg export), so in terms of the processes of commits and we'd
avoid any move (wiki and issue tracker stays the same).

--
Kristian Fiskerstrand