sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] hg workflow pointers

From: Jason Harris
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] hg workflow pointers
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2017 00:49:31 -0400

I prefer Mercurial - much lighter and much less risk of ruining your repo.

so maybe Windows 11 will be a total rewrite with zero reused code!  :)

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 8, 2017, at 9:34 AM, Kristian Fiskerstrand <address@hidden> wrote:

On 08/08/2017 03:27 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
There are likely a few different questions resulting from this (my own
opinions in separate email).

And here they come

(i) Should we use git for revision control instead of mercurial?

I'm personally more involved in projects using git these days, I am
however not sure if this constitute grounds for shifting up platform of
its own, but I'm curious what other's think. Mercurial has some great
features (a reason e.g facebook:
https://code.facebook.com/posts/218678814984400/scaling-mercurial-at-facebook/
uses it, although we don't exactly have a scaling issue)

(ii)(A) Should we continue to use bitbucket (it also supports git so
not dependent on (i)) or use another provider (if some of the questions
are regarding the UI of bitbucket / its use) (B) if not bitbucket, what
other alternative and why?

Open question, I don't see an immediate reason to move except for group
effects of most others using github so no need to have a new account. I
don't necessarily see centralization as a good thing overall, nor do I
like the github ToS

(iii) Should we submit patches to the mailing list for review instead
of using any platform's specific functionality?

I do think we should use the mailing list more actively to get more
involvement in the development; in particular with the low level of
commits proper review can only be a good thing. This can likely also
result in more complete commit message etc for individual commits with
the discussion in email archives as reference.

--
Kristian Fiskerstrand