sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] SKS intermittently stalls with 100% CPU & rate-limiting

From: Paul Fontela
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] SKS intermittently stalls with 100% CPU & rate-limiting
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 13:08:55 +0200

Hello everyone,
without the intention of sticking your finger in the wound ....

I have spent almost 10 days investigating the problem that I see related
in different threads of the list [Sks-devel], the falls of the sks
servers for abuse of requests.

I have tried almost everything, from downloading a dump and starting the
server sks again to reinstall system and everything else, the result is
always the same, it works well for a while, sometimes an hour sometimes
a little more and suddenly it it freezes the key server, reaching 80%
RAM, which makes it unstable and inoperable.

Of the three servers that I have, only 2 of them are surviving with
difficulty to this strange problem that has appeared "suddenly", I
wonder the following:

Is there any way to solve this problem?

Checking the logs of Nginx and SKS I have seen that there are some types
that consult without rest for a long time.

Is it possible to block mercenaries who do not want to spend a few
dollars to set up their own key server?

What happens to those huge keys that clog servers?

Is it possible to limit or block queries with scripts and limit them
only to the web interface?

Seen the seen, I'm going to stop one of the servers, the smallest of
them and that is hosted in the site that has been working best until
now, it is a small virtual machine with little RAM (1Gb) and it is that
server that most Problems is causing me, I think it is not worth having
a server running 24 hours if only it fulfills its mission 30 minutes a
day and that makes me be aware of it to restart services every time it
hangs.

I will keep the other servers until I see that they start giving me
promises too, if this happens, I will have to make a difficult decision.

What I do not want to do is have machines consuming electricity,
bandwidth and resources so that they are not fulfilling their mission.

Greetings to all and a lot of encouragement.
Paul Fontela

--

Paul Fontela
keyserver.ispfontela.es 11370   # Paul Fontela <address@hidden>