sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] SKS intermittently stalls with 100% CPU & rate-limiting

From: John Zaitseff
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] SKS intermittently stalls with 100% CPU & rate-limiting
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 20:16:48 +1000

Hi, everyone,

Paul Fontela wrote:

> If nothing has been modified in the configuration of the server or
> in the SKS service, what has happened?

As others have commented at length, could this indeed be related to
malicious or problematic keys?

> I have seen that some other servers that are also hosted on Amazon
> datacenters are suffering from the same problem, could it be
> Amazon, I do not know, I can not answer that yet.

The problem is definitely more widespread than Amazon.  I am seeing
the same issues on my physical server located in Sydney, Australia.

My server has plenty of memory and disk space, so that is not an
issue (/var/lib/sks/DB is currently 118GB), but one processor core
continually goes in and out of being 100% utilised by the
single-threaded "sks db" process.

I can confirm that I have not changed any major OS component nor the
SKS daemon itself--I'm running an up-to-date Debian installation,
uptime is currently 48 days, and the problems appeared the same time
everyone else's did, just a couple of weeks ago.

Happy to provide log files if anyone is debugging; I myself have not
spent much time on this, nor looked through the SKS source code.

By the way, I tried Phil Pennock's suggestion of removing peers that
were significantly behind mine in terms of number of keys, but that
made no difference to the situation.

Yours truly,

John Zaitseff

--
John Zaitseff                    ,--_|\    The ZAP Group
Phone:  +61 2 9643 7737         /      \   Sydney, Australia