sks-devel

Re: shutdown of pgpkeys.co.uk and pgpkeys.uk

From: Gabor Kiss
Subject: Re: shutdown of pgpkeys.co.uk and pgpkeys.uk
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 11:36:19 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 23 Jun 2021, Andrew Gallagher wrote:

> Making sks-keyservers.net point to somewhere that still works has merit. I
> would be cautious about taking it on though, as whoever owns it will inherit
> Kristian's GDPR problems. You would need to be prepared to respond to RTBF
> requests in a timely fashion - although this applies to all keyserver
> operators, the owner of sks-keyservers.net will naturally get the highest
> number of requests.
>
> So please, if anyone is considering claiming it, don't run SKS on it or you
> will find yourself unable to comply with GDPR. And I would strongly advise
> against running a new pool - doing so effectively claims responsibility for
> other people's servers outside your control.

Actually sks-keyservers.net (or its successor) is just a web page that
shows statistics about key servers. That should not public at all
so it would not attract any GDPR complaints.
If it is password protected for members only there is no headache. :-)
(Very few peoples will recognize its DNS related job.)

The GDPR problem is with SKS itself. That is a nightmare in this era.
A new architect is required. Key servers should store self signed and verified
keys only. Even more I think it should keep the strong set only.

Gabor