spacehulk-devel

Re: [Spacehulk-devel] Build error on CVS, plus XML levels?

From: Romain Vinot
Subject: Re: [Spacehulk-devel] Build error on CVS, plus XML levels?
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 10:31:56 +0100

On 26 Jan 2003 18:06:58 +0000, Andy Piper wrote:
> I've just updated my local CVS tree and tried to build it. I'm on RedHat
> 8.0.
>
> First I have to run aclocal, since the automake version is an old
> version.
>
> Then I run automake:
> address@hidden spacehulk]$ automake
> src/Makefile.am:39: blank line following trailing backslash
>
> This results in a build error when I configure and then attempt to build
> spacehulk.
>
> The fix is to remove line 38 from src/Makefile.am:
> #nodist_qspacehulk_SOURCES = \

Strange, I don't understand why the trailing backslash is taken into account
in this commented line... Anyway, I remove it.

> After this, automake works with no errors, and I can build spacehulk
> successfully.
>
> I thought I read that the levels were now in XML format? Where are they?
> The data in data/levels (the *.lvl files) appear to be binary. I would
> like to correct a few things in the level descriptions etc. but can't
> find the levels in plain text format to patch.
> [... plays further... ]
> aha! They are gzipped! This is odd, surely it is better to commit plain
> XML files to CVS? Far easier to patch that way. I didn't see this in the
> documentation anywhere. Very confusing

We have discuss it at the earlier stage of the XML format commit.
We (Pierre and I) use mlview as XML editor (which is really great), and
patch it to be able to open gzipped file transparently. This is really not a
problem to have binary file for us.

Once this problem was resolved, we decided to directly commit binary files
on CVS, because this was easier and we don't want any plain-file in the
distribution. If not, when should we gzipped them ? During the "make"
command, the "make install" command ? Do we need to check gzip on the
configure script, etc...

If you have anything to correct, please send me the correction and I will
integrate them.

Romain

--
Being overloaded is the sign of a true Debian maintainer.
        -- JHM on #Debian