Audio server(s) support in Speech Dispatcher (Re: No output!)

From: Ricky Buchanan
Subject: Audio server(s) support in Speech Dispatcher (Re: No output!)
Date: Mon Sep 4 09:59:45 2006

Hynek Hanke wrote:
> 3) NAS (Network Audio System)
> It does a similar thing to ESD, but NAS is much more powerful.
> It supports synchronization and real-time stopping. It has a nice
> C library for communication with it and easy support for volume
> setting.

Possible reason for the non-use is a MisNaming Problem.  I never even
*looked* at NAS because I assumed it was something to do with networking
sound between different boxen.  The idea it'd do what ESD does never
even occurred to me!

> Ricky, don't you want to consider NAS for your work? I think

Yes, if it does what ESD does then I *definitely* want to look at it and
will do so ASAP.

> As for replacing the Flite sound library in Speech Dispatcher
> with something better, I thing the NAS library looks good,
> but it would require users to install yet an additional application.
> If this is not what we want, I'd recommend to remain waiting
> for something suitable (liba(i)o is not currently).

I don't think installing applications is a problem.  For most people,
who use RedHat, Debian, etc., then installing another application just
means typing

<whatever-command> <program-name>

and as long as the documentation for how to make the two cooperate is
good documentation, then I'd go with it ASAP.

Regards,
Ricky

--
: Usual state:  (e) None of the above.