Audio server(s) support in Speech Dispatcher (Re: No output!)

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: Audio server(s) support in Speech Dispatcher (Re: No output!)
Date: Mon Sep 4 09:59:45 2006

> 2) Alsa

> I don't know anything about it. But there are people on this
> mailing list who do. Please could someone post more information
> about it?  Does it support synchronization and immediate
> stopping? Does it have some decent interface library?

AFAIK, ALSA doesn't have any real limits (remember, it can be used as a
fully functional backend by audio libraries), actually it's quite
powerful.  But ALSA is basically a Linux audio driver, no way a general
purpose audio library, so its direct use should be avoided in portable
code.  It can serve perfectly as one of Linux backends in an audio
library, but Speech Dispatcher should use higher level means for its
audio output.  If NAS serves the needs, use it.

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
http://www.zamazal.org