speechd and software dectalk?

From: Jacob Schmude
Subject: speechd and software dectalk?
Date: Mon Sep 4 09:59:45 2006

Hi everyone
My name is Jacob Schmude and I'm a recent user of speechd. My primary use is to
use speechd and speechd_up to communicate with the speakup screen
reader. It works, but I'd like to get better speech quality. Flite just doesn't
sound great, and festival isn't too responsive.
Has anyone gotten speechd to communicate with software dectalk? I'm attempting
to utilize the sd_generic driver to attempt to communicate with the dectalk's
say program, but I'm not having much luck. I've got the command right, since
when I enter the command on the command line it speaks, but when in speechd it
doesn't work.
The last message I get from the debug output is:
speaking thread started...
and that's it. Obviously, something's not right,  since the debugging output
for the flite module returns much more than that... and it doesn't speak.
Has anyone successfully done this? If so, how?

P.S. If this isn't the right place for this discussion, please point me in the
right direction.