stderr?

From: Hynek Hanke
Subject: stderr?
Date: Mon Sep 4 09:59:49 2006

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 10:23:15AM -0400, Gary Cramblitt wrote:
> I'm hacking a bit on the new alsa code, inserting debugging statements using
> fprintf(stderr, ...), but I don't see them displayed anywhere.  I've looked
> in speechd.log.  I'm running speech-dispatcher in Konsole A like this
>   speech-dispatcher -s -l 5

They must appear at the console you are running speech-dispatcher from.
I suspect this is a buffering issue. Just use fflush().

> Also, I could use some tips on the best way to work on Speech Dispatcher
> code.
> ATM, I have to install as root each time I make a change, i.e., "make
> install".  How should I set up my environment so I don't have to do that?

As Milan pointed out, you don't have to install as root. If you are working on
the audio output library or some language specific API, you do have to ,,make
install'' so that the changes have some effect. You don't have to do this when
you are working on the core or when working with output modules (in this case
you have to set up your /etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf to correct paths
into your build directory).

With Regards,
Hynek Hanke