Parenthesis

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: Parenthesis
Date: Mon Sep 4 09:59:49 2006

    PL> The problem with parenthesis occurs only in all punctuation mode
    PL> and when trying to spell text, i.e; when the system tries to
    PL> pronounce the parenthesis. I discovered that it seems to be a
    PL> server-side problem. Indeed when I try to use speech-dispatcher
    PL> in festival interactive mode and execute a command like :
    PL> (speechd-speak* "(hello)") I get following error message in
    PL> festival : Cannot concatenate waveforms with differing numbers
    PL> of channels.  The problem doesn't appea with other punctuations
    PL> like [ ] or whatever.

See the Festival variable word-mapping.  It maps parentheses to sounds
by default.  You can either set the variable to nil in your Festival
startup file or (which may be more interesting) you can install the
sound-icons package (available at
http://www.freebsoft.org/pub/projects/sound-icons/ or as the
`sound-icons' Debian package).

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
I fear fear both faith and power
They have no need to use any question marks   -- UJD