KEY commands containing unspeakable characters

From: Gary Cramblitt
Subject: KEY commands containing unspeakable characters
Date: Mon Sep 4 09:59:52 2006

When I send characters in the latin-1 charset > 128 to SD via !KEY command,
example

@ U+00AF
!SPEAK
Macron:
.
!KEY ?

@ U+00B4
!SPEAK
Acute accent:
.
!KEY ?

!QUIT

SD does not speak the characters using Festival.  In the IBM TTS output module
I am working on, I found that IBM TTS does a decent job of speaking these
characters.  I only had to fix a few of them.  I did this by creating a
simple configurable mapping table in ibmtts.conf and replacing the characters
with speakable words when the output module receives a KEY command.  I'm
wondering if we should consider generalizing this capability to all output
modules/synths.

One issue is that the speakable names of characters are language dependent.
It would be best if each synth handled this itself, but of course, most
don't.  So what's the right level to address this issue?  SD Server or output
module for each synth?

--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)
KDE Text-to-Speech Maintainer