Speech Dispatcher backend

From: Hynek Hanke
Subject: Speech Dispatcher backend
Date: Mon Sep 4 09:59:50 2006

> In LSR, we plan on having a configuration dialog to support this level
> of customization. Where would a user configure such behavior Speech
> Dispatcher, assuming LSR did not have this capability?

In the configuration of the synthesizer for the synthesizers that
support sound icons (and in the configuration of Dispatcher for those
synthesizers who do not support sound icons). So for example in case of
Festival in /etc/festival.scm.

We have also considered doing it in a centralized way in higher levels
(Speech Dispatcher configuration), but it seems it better fits the
synthesis engines configuration. For example some synthesizer can't play
a wav file but can do synthesis. Or some synthesizers perhaps do
synthesis so badly that a wav file is better. Also the strings for the
synthesis process are language dependent.

As for easy centralized configuration, this is something I currently
only have very fusy ideas about. I'm open to any suggestions.

Also, I'd like to ask whether you considered creating (or already
created) a list of standardized sound icons? This is something still
on our todo list in Speech Dispatcher and recently TTS API.

With regards,
Hynek Hanke