More on speech-dispatcher crashes

From: Adam Myrow
Subject: More on speech-dispatcher crashes
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 08:26:00 -0600 (CST)

Hi.  I have recently re-compiled speech-dispatcher from source with the
"-g" flag in order to troubleshoot the crashes on SMP systems.  I then
started using it with Orca.  This seems to be when it crashes most often.
Most of the crashes have been in Evolution when reading rapidly through
text.  I've managed to catch two crashes and do some backtracing with GDB.
In one, speech-dispatcher was running normally, but I had executed "ulimit
-c unlimited" before starting it so that it would produce a core file.  In
the second, I'd attached GDB to the running process, then given the
"continue" command.  Both crashes were exactly in the same place.  Here is
the last few lines of output from loading in the core file, then asking
for a backtrace.

#0  0xb7f1a6f2 in g_list_first () from /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
(gdb) backtrace
#0  0xb7f1a6f2 in g_list_first () from /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#1  0x08057591 in get_message_from_queues () at speaking.c:916
#2  0x08058a5d in speak (data=0x0) at speaking.c:154
#3  0xb7edd1b3 in start_thread () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
#4  0xb7e6603e in clone () from /lib/libc.so.6

Is this of any help?  To me, at least in my case, it almost looks like a
problem with glib on my system rather than Speech-dispatcher.  I'm running
Slackware 12.0 with Dropline Gnome installed.