speechd-el on a low cpu device

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: speechd-el on a low cpu device
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 18:56:57 +0100

    GC> I tried a few weeks ago to run speechd + cedet on the Neo1973
    GC> (arm 266Mhz, 128MB of RAM); switching from line to line was slow
    GC> (one or two seconds of latency). Using emacspeak + tcl, the
    GC> result seems to me acceptable even if speech from times to times
    GC> can be delayed. I do not conclude that speechd can't run on the
    GC> Neo, just that my built was unusable.

Did you byte compile speechd-el?  This is very important.

I've never tried to run speechd-el on a PDA although I'd like to try it
on Sharp Zaurus (which is a similar hardware except it has only 64 MB
RAM).  Last time I tried I didn't have the patience to get everything
run, it's painful to work with a semi-obsolete operating system I
currently have installed there.  I plan to make next try once I replace
the system with ?ngstr?m distribution, we'll see.

Regards,

Milan Zamazal