Ivona module - do you want to test?

From: Hynek Hanke
Subject: Ivona module - do you want to test?
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 13:29:40 +0200

Bohdan R. Rau wrote:
>> 1) What should we do with libdumbtts? Should we maintain it
>> as a separate package or should we include it into Speech Dispatcher
>> as a helper library?
>>

> Good question - I really don't know. In fact this library would be used
> not only with speech-dispatcher, but also with any application using
> dumb synthesizers. I personally use it in my private book reader, which
> communicates directly with Ivona...

So it seems it should definitely be a separate package.

If we mix it into Speech Dispatcher now, we would have to place
the config files into /etc/spech-dispatcher/  or otherwise we would
complicate the scripts and packages very much. We would
have to document it for this release, these config
files will however stop working in the next release of
Speech Dispatcher when libdumbtts will be considered
a separate thing with separate configuration...

Given that it doesn't seem to be a simple thing to do,
unless we find some other simple way, I'd prefer to
wait for the right solution (separate libdumbtts).

We will release Speech Dispatcher soon (next week)
and it will contain the Ivona output module. It would
be great if we could include a link to libdumbtts in
the installation instructions.

Could you plese "release" it in some way? Place it
into separate .tar.gz, translate the README into
English, acompany it with a license. We will have to
search for ways how to get it packaged for the various
distributions.

 > I'll try to ask Ivona maintainer about this feature, but knowing the
> long history of my talking with Ivo Software I don't think the IVO
> company will be interested with adding extra features :(

Sadly, this it the big problem of proprietary synthesizers. There
is not much we could do about it.

> At now the only possibility is to set preferred rate during server
> startup.

Thanks, I didn't know it is possible. At least, this is a partial solution.

With regards,
Hynek Hanke