Alsa/Pulseaudio conflicts

From: Hermann
Subject: Alsa/Pulseaudio conflicts
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 17:52:08 +0200

am So 13. Apr 2008 um 17:34:39 schrieb Halim Sahin <halim.sahin at t-online.de>:
> > - starting sd with its pulse audio output in the user session.
> >
> Using pulseaudio in speechd works not very fast .
> It has problems stopping the speech output.
> in my opinion this is not very usable.

Tested it with Gutsy, it didn't work at all. In Hardy it does (with
Gnome-speech), but I think the Ubuntu team set it up in a way, so that it
is usable with Orca and media players.

> > or other options
> (e.g. stop the pulseaudio daemon,...).
>

> > What would be your recommendations for the forthcoming users wishing to
> > install sd in a pulseaudio based system?
> My recommendation is not to use a soundserver with accessibility
> technologie.
> I think it will be more efficient to fix the problems in alsa's dmix
> plugin.
>
> My tests were done with speechd 0.6.6, pulseaudio 0.9.9-1 from debian
> sid.
> I made tests with sbl which has a native viavoice driver and
> gnomespeech.
> In fact they are altogether slow and not usable.
> Changing settings like nice level realtime stuff did not help.

Why always apply big solutions for rather small problems? If we can manage
to make all speech apps work with Alsa, we were happy.
Hermann