Alsa/Pulseaudio conflicts

From: Gilles Casse
Subject: Alsa/Pulseaudio conflicts
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 20:01:29 +0200

Halim Sahin wrote:
> Using pulseaudio in speechd works not very fast .
> It has problems stopping the speech output.
> in my opinion this is not very usable.

Regarding the pulse audio output (pulse.c), when the stop command
occurs, the first step is to wait that the internal audio buffer has
been drained. So the bigger the buffer, the longer the user waits.

As a try, Halim, can you use the following values in your espeak.conf file.
Do you notice an improvement?
Does the result become acceptable for you?

The numeric values below are as example the original ones divided by 2:
EspeakAudioOutputMethod "pulse"
EspeakPulseMaxLength 66150
EspeakPulseTargetLength 2205
EspeakPulsePreBuffering 1100