Problems with "end" callback in Python

From: Hynek Hanke
Subject: Problems with "end" callback in Python
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:25:31 +0200

Lukas Loehrer wrote:
> I attached an example that shows how to use SSML mark elements with
> speech-dispatcher and the espeak output module.
Thank you.
> Unfortunately, the
> presence of marks influence the way the speech sounds. This seems to
> be a speech-dispatcher issue, because when using espeak directly, the
> marks do not influence the speech.

Yes. Because in the current implementation the index mark
reporting is not independent of the audio output, so the artefact
of this is slightly higher delays between the words.
> Actually, espeak itself supports reporting of word boundries, but I do
> not know if there are python bindings for espeak.
Festival also supports it. I'd however suggest to invest work
into completing TTS API Provider and the new implementation
of Speech Dispatcher now than to create various bindings
for the various synthesizers and and hardcode them with the
applications. It's the easiest and fastest way forward.

With regards,
Hynek Hanke