Problems with "end" callback in Python

From: Hynek Hanke
Subject: Problems with "end" callback in Python
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 18:22:38 +0200

James Simmons napsal(a)
> Unfortunately the words have long pauses between them.  It sounds like
> the voice of Colossus having a really bad day.
Yes, because in this way, each time you send something to the
synthesizer, you must wait until the synthesizer synthesizes it. If you
would send a longer text however, the synthesizer can work in advance to
the audio output, so it is much faster. Also, there is much less network
overhead etc. And as you pointed out very correctly, the resulting sound
will have much better quality because it will contain intonation etc.

So a better solution would be to insert index marks (see SSML
specifications) into the text after each word and send it to Speech
Dispatcher.

Not even this is optimal because you have to guess where the word
boundaries are. A new implementation of Speech Dispatcher (which will
however still take some time to finish) has a full solution to the
problem. You only send the original text and the synthesizer itself will
find word and sentence boundaries and will notify the client application
when they are reached (together with the exact position in the original
text).

The proposed insertion of custom SSML index marks into your text should
however be a fairly good solution in your case. I hope you don't run
into  another threading problems with pygtk. It is quite a problem that
it is not thread safe.

With regards,
Hynek