Problems with "end" callback in Python

From: James Simmons
Subject: Problems with "end" callback in Python
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 09:20:30 -0500

I am currently trying to use speech-dispatcher with espeak to create a
book reading activity for the One Laptop Per Child project.  This
activity provides an ebook reader for Project Gutenberg Etexts.  Several
people on their mailing list suggested that I add a text to speech
feature so that the child could have the book read to him while he sees
the spoken words highlighted on the screen, sort of like karaoke
highlighting.  That of course requires synchronizing the highlighted
words and the spoken words.  I have tried to implement this in python as
follows:

When the user turns on speech some flags are set and a timer starts
invoking a function "next_word" at regular intervals.  In that function
I check the flags and if the flags say it is OK to speak I have speech
dispatcher speak one word, after highlighting it on the screen.  I have
a callback for speech dispatcher which *should* tell me when the word
has finished being spoken.  When the callback function is invoked I set
a flag to True saying that it is OK to highlight and speak the next word.

The problem is, the callbacks are not always being received.  In fact,
more often than not they are not received, but occasionally they are.
This results in the app speaking one word, then stopping.  I turn speech
off and then on and I might get the next word, or if I'm lucky the next
few words.  If I get the next few words the highlighting works
perfectly.  I just need to know how to make the ending callback work
consistently.

I have code I could send you if that would help.

Thanks,

James Simmons