Speech-dispatcher crashes with brltty

From: Hermann
Subject: Speech-dispatcher crashes with brltty
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 11:09:21 +0200

am Fr 11. Apr 2008 um 10:43:20 schrieb Daniel Dalton <d.dalton at iinet.net.au>:
[...]
>> I'm rather sure this is no brltty/SD problem. Which version of libasound2
>> do you use? If it's 1.0.16-x, shift back to version 1.0.15-x.
>
> How can I revert back to that version?

Look into your /var/cache/apt/archives directory whether you can find an
older libasound2 file.

> Also I update my system rather regularly, how do i stop libasound from
> updating too?

You have to do that manually, by saving the old packages and downgrade
after system updates by using dpkg.
I hope there will be fixed packages soon.

>> Another solution is to change Espeak's output in espeak.conf from alsa to
>> oss, but this prevents you from using the speech along with your media
>> player. If they are installed, you can use Espeak's output over sound
>
> I want alsa.
>
> How can I make sure espeak.conf (that is the driver I'm using) is using
> alsa not OS?

It uses alsa by default. Check the file. It's selb explaining.
Hermann