Speech-dispatcher crashes with brltty

From: Hermann
Subject: Speech-dispatcher crashes with brltty
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 14:18:36 +0200

am Do 10. Apr 2008 um 14:02:39 schrieb Daniel Dalton <d.dalton at iinet.net.au>:
> Hi,
>
> I get crashes quite often now with speech-dispatcher and BRLTTY.
> I almost have to restart SD every 20 minutes... I'm not exactly sure what
> is causing this.
> So what exactly do I do to fix this?
> I am using speech-dispatcher 0.6.6 from the debian repo I believe, but
> could be wrong.
> Oh and I'm using brltty 3.10 R3648.
> Thanks for any help!

I'm rather sure this is no brltty/SD problem. Which version of libasound2
do you use? If it's 1.0.16-x, shift back to version 1.0.15-x.
Perhaps you should update brltty to current revision 3653.
Another solution is to change Espeak's output in espeak.conf from alsa to
oss, but this prevents you from using the speech along with your media
player. If they are installed, you can use Espeak's output over sound
servers - possible ones are NAS and Pulseaudio.
Hermann