Issues with Speech-Dispatcher

From: Robert Spangler
Subject: Issues with Speech-Dispatcher
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 15:23:20 -0400

Hello all,

I wrote to other lists concerning this issue but was told that this
would be the most appropriate one.  I have been experimenting with
Speech-Dispatcher, ESpeak, and Voxin-IBMTTS for the last couple of days.
  I find that, with Voxin, I am unable to get Orca to read punctuation
at all and Speech-Dispatcher does not honor the punctuation setting;
however, I hear punctuation just fine with Speakup -> Speechd-up with
IBMTTS.  I was told that ESpeak will be supported more because it is
free software so I switched to it and find that it does indeed work
better with Speech-Dispatcher - punctuation is honored.  Another
problem, however, is that ESpeak has an echo to its voice whenever
reading punctuation.  How can I remedy this as it is very annoying.  I
just want to hear punctuation marks without any kind of effect.  I did
find the directive in espeak.conf that allowed me to edit what marks are
spoken if punctuation is set to most.

Thanks,
Robby