Porting Speechd-el to Win32?, Found a SSIP Implementation

From: Veli-Pekka Tätilä
Subject: Porting Speechd-el to Win32?, Found a SSIP Implementation
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 23:14:55 +0300

Hi list,
How difficult a task would it be to port speechd-el to Windows? Is the only
Nix-only bit of speechd-el the speech and Braille interface?

I mainly ask as an end-user. After all Gnu emacs has been ported, most modes
being LIsp appear to work straight out-of-the-box, and interestingly, the
main reason why I decided to post this, I've just found a SSIP
implementation for Windows at:

http://www.remoteaccessbridge.com/ssip/

That doc makes direct reference to SSIP and the related spec on the speech
dispatcher site.

The reason I ask, on a side note, is that I'd like to accessibly use Emacs
for Windows-only programming. I keep thinking to myself, but in Emacs you
could <insert-name-of-favorit-feature>. In particular, I'd like to use
dynamically completed local variable names to avoid typos with speech, and
outline-minor-mode with a user-specified regexp to hide function bodies and
such. Both save a lot of time and are far better than jumping to the next
regexp match and pasting from the clipboard, which is what I have to do now
to emulate these. I can certainly live with my current tools, it's just a
matter of convenience.

My current Windows editor supports no Emacsisms, apart from regexp and tabs
(as poor man's buffers), and my Windows reader offers relatively bad access
to Emacs. No matter how much you'd script it, it will never be nowhere near
as good as Speechd-el. The reason being software architecture: asking the
model stuff rather than scraping the view, is just immensely powerful, and
the right way to go about accessibility to me when available. That is rarely
the case, though.

This is just a quick ping to see if there are any long term plans of porting
the thing to Windows, or how difficult it might be. The only Windows stuff I
know well enough is SAPI and that is via COM ffrom Perl. I've also taken a
quick glance at some of the speech code in speechd-el, but my Elisp
knowledge having just finished the tutorial and coded some basic functions,
is vague at best. Consider me a knowledgable end-user, <smile>.

The speechd-el source is far better documented than most OSS C code I've
seen, though. It's scary that I've sort of developed a liking to the Lisp
syntax, at least I can bear it now without grumbling.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka T?til?
Accessibility, Apps and Coding plus Synths and Music: