Porting Speechd-el to Win32?, Found a SSIP Implementation

From: Chris Brannon
Subject: Porting Speechd-el to Win32?, Found a SSIP Implementation
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 16:03:13 -0500

Veli-Pekka T?til? <vtatila at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi list,
> How difficult a task would it be to port speechd-el to Windows? Is the
> only Nix-only bit of speechd-el the speech and Braille interface?

Speechd-el is written entirely in Emacs Lisp.  It sends SSIP to a speech
server.  Looking at brltty.el, I see that it communicates with brltty
via TCP.  There's nothing Unix-specific about speechd-el.
You found an SSIP implementation for Windows, so speech should work.  I
assume that it is a faithful implementation.
If you want braille, I'm reasonably sure that Brltty has been compiled
under Cygwin.

If the Windows SSIP implementation is not faithful, you have another option.
Run speechd-el on the Windows machine, and tell it to connect to an instance
of Speech Dispatcher running on a Linux box.
You can customize the host and port used for the speech and braille servers.
See the docs that come with speechd-el.

Just try it and see what happens.  Tell us.  Personally, I'm betting that
it will work out of the box.

-- Chris