More on SD crashes

From: Hermann
Subject: More on SD crashes
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 16:57:11 +0000

Hi,
after installing the very latest SD from the snapshot page I had to
realise, that the crashes not only persist, but they happened more often
(every 2-3 minutes).
So I rebuilt Espeak using the portaudio0.19 header file, because I
thought that may help. Portaudio0.19 supports Alsa for Espeak.
First it seems as if that has helped, but in the long run it did not.
This afternoon I figured out a strange thing: If one sets the loglevel
in speechd.conf to "5", there were no more crashes.
I will test this in a long range test, but the question is: What has the
loglevel to do with SD's performance with Espeak?
Is it really a solution to fill up my hard drive with huge logfiles in
order to get SD and Espeak run stable?
The only working alternatives are either change SD's output to OSS, or
use Espeak-Generic. Both are workarounds but not that desirable.
The third alternative is to use a nonfree synth, such as ttsynth or
voxin (whatever that former viavoice is called now).
But why use open source when you have to buy a speech synth in the end?
Hermann