More on SD crashes

From: Jan Buchal
Subject: More on SD crashes
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 10:01:46 +0100

    H> Hi, after installing the very latest SD from the snapshot page I
    H> had to realise, that the crashes not only persist, but they
    H> happened more often (every 2-3 minutes). So I rebuilt Espeak
    H> using the portaudio0.19 header file, because I thought that may
    H> help. Portaudio0.19 supports Alsa for Espeak. First it seems as
    H> if that has helped, but in the long run it did not. This
    H> afternoon I figured out a strange thing: If one sets the loglevel
    H> in speechd.conf to "5", there were no more crashes.
Yes it is know situation. Simply to say SD is then slover so then the
crash not come already.

    H> I will test this in a long range test, but the question is: What
    H> has the loglevel to do with SD's performance with Espeak? Is it
    H> really a solution to fill up my hard drive with huge logfiles in
    H> order to get SD and Espeak run stable? The only working
    H> alternatives are either change SD's output to OSS, or use
    H> Espeak-Generic. Both are workarounds but not that desirable.

You know the answer as well as we. The problem are in two area:

- glib
- alsa

SD is implemented in C and from this reason is very difficulty track a
bugs. That's was one of reason why we reimplement SD in python.

But as Mr. Cerha wrote already SD crash on some system only. It is not
good of course but SD is a software which use another environment and
libraries which are not maintained by Brailcom.

Have a nice day

--

Jan Buchal
Tel: (00420) 24 24 86 008