Speech Dispatcher error message

From: Tomas Cerha
Subject: Speech Dispatcher error message
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 12:51:14 +0100

Anthony Sales napsal(a):
> I am now trying to start speech-dispatcher after login rather than before
> using init.d and using the session manager to start it once pulse-audio is
> running. However I get the following error message: Can't create pid file in
> /var/run/speech-dispatcher/speech-dispatcher.pid, wrong permissions? I tried
> changing the permissions of var, but no luck (and warning message about
> permissions) Do I have to add add speech-dispatcher to a group or something?

The easiest way to fix that is to use the spd-conf script to create your
user-specific configuration.

A more detailed explanation is that the directory
/var/run/speech-dispatcher is for the system-wide service, which runs as
user speech-dispatcher and is invoked from the init.d script.  If you
want to run SD as ordinary user, you need to configure it to use a
directory where you have write permissions, typically in your home under
~/.speech-dispatcher.  That's what the spd-conf script does for you.

Best regards, Tomas