Speech Dispatcher on Ubuntu 8.10 with Alsa?

From: Tomas Cerha
Subject: Speech Dispatcher on Ubuntu 8.10 with Alsa?
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 11:35:14 +0100

Tom Lloyd wrote:
> With some limited reading and knowledge on the subject I understand that
> alsa supports hardware mixing, what I read implied that only certain
> hardware will support this not all.

Hello Tom, ALSA also supports software mixing using its DMIX plugin.
Thus it should normally be possible to have multiple sounds at once even
with a single channel soundcard.  This must be some configuration
problem.  I am going to test Vinux 1.2 myself and try whether I am able
to find out what it is.

Best regards, Tomas.