Spee

From: Bill Cox
Subject: Spee
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 06:41:01 -0500

I wanted to reply to Tim's specific speech-dispatcher related point:

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Tim Cross <tcross at rapttech.com.au> wrote:
> For the Linux environment, projects such as speech-dispatcher are of critical
> importance. Good quality, stable text-to-speech is critical to all of the
> approaches. It is a fundamental requirement. One thing I do wish would happen
> is an update of the IBM ViaVoice Outloud libraries for Linux. this is my
> preferred TTS engine. I wish it was updated so that it no longer required the
> old stdc++ libraries and was available in 64 bit versions. I've tried most of
> the other TTS solutions available for Linux, but none of them have the clarity
> (especially at high speech rates), responsiveness and features of Viavoice.

The Outloud voice is still around, and available from oralux.org at
their cost.  I'm using it now, on Ubuntu Karmic x64.  This is a great
example of why speech-dispatcher is important.  I want to write an
emacspeak driver for SD, if I can ever find the time, because the
outloud driver is crazy-hard to get working in 64-bit land.

Bill