Comments on the Text to Speech "algorithm"

From: marc
Subject: Comments on the Text to Speech "algorithm"
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 22:47:13 +0100

Hello,

I made this remark at the http://rmll.info last summer in Nantes.

I you have Text to Speech (TTS), the "old" way is to invent some
mathematical function and to generate a "sound" which is "close" (in
Hausdorf distance?) to the spoken words.

But these mathematical formulas date from times when computers didn't
have the possibilities to contain about 60.000 MP3s from a human
speaker. If we could organise it that way, the concatanation of the
words would be better than the mathematical contruction.  And if you
learned how to make a higher sound at the end of a question, you should
be able to adapt the mp3 too.

Problem is: we will have to throw away a lot of work by
mathematicians...  Mathematicians never had patents (the Greek would be
rich ;-).  But we throw away a lot of stuff in computer science ...

Marc

http://shortwave.tk
700+ Radio Stations on SW http://swstations.tk
300+ languages on SW http://radiolanguages.tk