trouble with latest git, espeak, and PulseAudio

From: Halim Sahin
Subject: trouble with latest git, espeak, and PulseAudio
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 20:31:06 +0100

Hi,
On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 12:15:07PM -0700, Jacob Schmude wrote:
> Hi
> Unfortunately, on this system, I do not have a choice but to use
> Pulseaudio. To use ALSA directly results in audio artifacts whenever
> speech is used due to poor hardware resampling in the onboard card.

Have you reported this to alsa developers?
Resampling can be done in libasound as well and this can be implemented
easy.

> Really, we have to stop saying "just ditch Pulseaudio" and work with it
> instead. It's not going away, and is sometimes the only thing allowing
> certain poorly-implemented hardware to work properly in cases where ALSA
> and OSS4 are not enough on their own. The blanket "ditch Pulseaudio"
> attitude displayed by a lot of people is worrysome.

Feel free to contribute a working setup and I will never post a mail
about pulseaudio and speechd.

> Pulse is here to
> stay, to think otherwise is wishful thinking and nowhere near close to
> reality.

The reality is that pulseaudio breaks a11y in many places.
For other desktop apps it's well usable (and I use it on my machine as
well).
 Accessibility (tts) needs more stability than pulse can offer currently.
Using console screenreaders in general doesn't work as expected.