trouble with latest git, espeak, and PulseAudio

From: A
Subject: trouble with latest git, espeak, and PulseAudio
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 23:41:13 +0200

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 11:18 PM, Jacob Schmude <j.schmude at gmail.com> wrote:
> No, I cannot use Dmix. Dmix does not avoid the hardware resampling, it
> merely allows mixing. What Dmix will do on this card is attempt to
> up-sample the speech to whatever audio is playing at the time, as it
> does not allow for multiple sample rates simultaneously on different

Actually I have suggested a plug+dmix configuration (look at my
rate of dmix which default should be 48kHz ??bits.
You can configure dmix to a particular bit.sample rate that works best
with your hardware as described in the wiki page I've already sent
you.

> channels. This causes anything from tinny-sounding speech (espeak) to
> static (festival) and everything in between. It must all be done in

I haven't experienced any audible problems with plug/dmix resampling
but your ears could be more sensitive. I would be surprised though if
upsampling to 48kHz (which is the default dmix mode) is really that
bad.

> software and mixed *before* sending it to this hardware, or the results
> are poor.

Yes, setup I suggested to you does just that in software.

Regards