svox pico issues

From: Hynek Hanke
Subject: svox pico issues
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 12:45:25 +0200

On 3.10.2010 13:26, Andrei Kholodnyi wrote:
> Not sure what do you mean by "a combination".
> e.g. you can use libc in any GPLv3 program w/o any restrictions

libc is LGPL and GPLv3 program is GPL v3,
so you can distribute a combination under GPL v3.

> but if you try to use GPLv3 code in the libc then you need to license
> libc under GPLv3

libc is LGPL and GPLv3 program is GPL v3, so you can distribute
a combination under GPL v3. It's the maintainers decision only and
their strategy to stay with LGPL, in which case they need to reject
GPL v3 code.

The difference is in decision only. Each time, you are combining
two previous works into one single piece.

>As I have explained I do not see any problems with GPLv2

The problem is it is not compatible, so you can't
take an Apache2 piece of code and distribute
as GPL v2:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html

So I think the options are GPL v3 or LGPL.

I might be wrong, I'm no expert on licenses.

Best regards,
Hynek Hanke