running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode

From: Hynek Hanke
Subject: running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 13:07:31 +0200

On 4.10.2010 15:32, Christopher Brannon wrote:
> But the point is that it isn't really easy to run it as a
> system-wide service anymore.

The problem is it never was. Distribution used to put
an exit 0 at the start of the init script due problems with
audio. Either of these used to be the first crash and
burn for the user.

Further, if the user was to get it working with Pulse
Audio, then he had to setup manually a configuration
in his home directory and choose a correct port. The
offered value of 6561 was often not the correct value.
And then of course one needed to set SPEECHD_PORT
correctly. All on command line, just to get something
working.

And then you get all the problems with order of
startup. Clients before Speech Dispatcher, Speech
Dispatcher before audio subsystem...

These days, the user installs Speech Dispatcher from
a package, starts Orca or speechd-el and Speech Dispatcher
is autostarted and starts talking.

I think distributions should really consider whether to
ship the system mode and if they are even able to
resolve all the complicated relations it actually has.

And of course we have these clients which needs to
be improved to be able to work in this automatic way.

I think we are often lacking a comparison with
the zero state. What kind of problems would we have
today, if we didn't do anything...

Best regards,
Hynek