running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode

From: Hynek Hanke
Subject: running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 09:59:18 +0200

On 6.10.2010 22:58, William Hubbs wrote:
> I'm not to the point where I can check this yet, but here is the way I'm
> thinking it can work:
>
> 1.  speechd-up is started as root.  This would be the only thing that
> would need a system startup script.

Yes, I think you are thinking in the right direction.
You must however think in terms of user sessions,
not just the users in system.

I think it is worth to explore whether the /dev/softsynth
and the other related communication points (there is something
in /proc too) could not be readable/writable by a group.

Then we could launch speechd-up in user session, and that
would make it work with Speech Dispatcher autospawn,
Pulse Audio etc.

It is a hackish solution, with rather strange security
implications, but it is a step in the correct direction.

Best regards,
Hynek Hanke