running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode

From: Steve Holmes
Subject: running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 21:50:44 -0700

OK I found the answer to one of my questions.  I apparently forgot to
uncomment the last line in speechd.conf to disable autospawning.  OK,
I did that and now I get the following error whenever I run spd-say.
Script started on Fri 08 Oct 2010 09:46:50 PM MST
steve at lnx3:~$ spd-say "hello party"
Failed to connect to Speech Dispatcher:
Error: Can't connect to unix socket
/home/steve/.speech-dispatcher/speechd.sock: No such file or directory.
Autospawn: Autospawn failed. Speech Dispatcher refused to start with error
code, stating this as a reason: Autospawn requested but disabled in
configuration

steve at lnx3:~$ exit
exit

Script done on Fri 08 Oct 2010 09:47:15 PM MST

So my question is now, why do the clients keep trying to spawn a new
instance instead of calling the established server? I looked at
speech-dispatcher.log and it shows that it is definitely using
inet_socket and is listening on the default port.

Any more ideas?