running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode

From: Steve Holmes
Subject: running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 02:17:16 -0700

Not using inet_sockets? well, that's another area to try.  I was under
the impression that you had to use internet sockets instead.  that
could make things easier if I don't have to try and get this
environment variable passed to gdm.

To answer your other question, no, I didn't insert that export line in
the gdm script itself.  The script runs /etc/profile which sets some
basic system wide environment variables and then runs all .sh files in
/et/profile.d.  I stuck another file in /etc/profile.d called
speechd.sh.  That setup works beautifully when I login as any user and
run spd-say for a test or do startx to run Orca.  It's just gdm does
not seem to be able to launch a connection to speechd.  I don't get
any errors but I don't think it's getting the communication method.
Not sure what else to look at.  When speechd was autospawning in
session mode, gdm ran it OK.  But then I ran into alsa device getting
locked out and that's why I'm going after this system-wide approach
again.