running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode

From: Steve Holmes
Subject: running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 12:06:10 -0700

On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 08:57:03AM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
> need speech before we are logged in.  I don't know how that happens in
> the GUI desktops, but outside the GUI's, the only way I can see it
> happen is if we have a service that starts as root then drops privileges
> to some defined user.

In gnome, the gdm program is started as a system service but uses a
user called gdm.  To make mine talk at login time, I went into the gdm
user account and set some gconf variables to enable Orca to startup.
It's a bit tricky to do but the general idea is, gdm is a user and
needs to have Orca running to provide speech.  As soon as I enter a
password, that instance of Orca is killed and my normal user session
is launched and of course, Orca then comes up as my normal user with
my settings.