running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode

From: Steve Holmes
Subject: running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 21:23:20 -0700

I thought I would give system mode a try with the latest git pull of
speech dispatcher.  I'm pushing for this now because this afternoon, I
ran into a conflict situation where my ALSA device was locked out and
I had to kill all instances of speechd before I could play any
sounds.  So as I said before, Ithought I'd start up speechd as a
system service using inet_socket for communication method and alsa for
output method because I don't do pulse!

My problem is every time I run spd-say or start up a gnome session, a
new instance of speech-dispatcher gets spawned and when I do a 'ps ax
|grep speech-dispatcher' to see what is going on, I see additional
parameters showing up in the spawned version including such things as
--spawn and so on.  In my /etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf, I
specifically uncommentted the DisableAutospawn and the original
instance which I started as a daemon remains running but none of the
client requests make it to this instance; they keep spawning new ones.

Also when I started speech-dispatcher centrally, I tried both
specifying inet_socket from inside the .conf file and from the new
command line optionss (thanks) but the logs keep getting written to my
home (/root/.speech-dispatcher) instead of what I thought to be
/var/log/speech-dispatcher.  I do have that directory here but it is
not being used.

Any ideas why I can't get the clients to use the central version
instead of spawning new instances?  Oh, I do not have any config files
stored in the local .speech-dispatcher directories either.  In fact, I
delete the whole dir before running a test just to be sure.